Baddiley, Wrenbury & Burleydam
St Michael’s Baddiley
The Parish Church of St. Michael's is a Grade 1 listed building of special architectural and historic interest.
The Church is mentioned in the recognisance rolls of 1308 although it is probable that a church existed here before then. It has been closely linked with the nearby Baddiley Hall and with the Mainwaring family. There were formerly stained-glass windows in the Church given by the Mainwaring family, but when they sold Baddiley Hall and retired to Peover, they took these windows to the church there.
The Church was originally timber framed until alterations and repairs took place in 1811 when the nave was replaced with brick, Although the western gable was retained as timber and plaster. Some of the original wattle and daub can still be seen on the western gable of the chancel. Access to the Georgian west gallery is via a staircase of winders; the gallery gives a good view of the nave, which is seperated from the chancel by a pre Reformation screen and tympanum dated 1663 which is unusual now in Cheshire.The Royal Coat of Arms on the tympanum was restored beautifully at considerable expense during 2007, and was re-hung just before Christmas, and once again dominates the nave.
During late 2003 and early 2004 extensive repairs were carried out to the timber framework, south door and external brickwork in the chancel. The craftsmanship of these repairs can be best viewed from outside.
More detailed information can be found in the Church Guide which is available in the church.
Apart from a service each Sunday at 11.00am, and we are a Book of Common Prayer church, Baddiley Church is open each Saturday in April through to October from 10am to 4.00pm.
To commemorate the 700th Anniversary of the establishment of the church at Baddiley in 2008, a new set of altar rail kneelers have been worked by members of the congregation and friends of St. Michael's. We are also indebted to Alan Joslyn for his craftmanship in designing and making the new kneeler bases. The kneelers were dedicated on Easter Sunday, March 23rd.
As part of 2008's celebrations Radio Stoke recorded a 'Songs of Praise' service at St. Michael's on June 29th, which was broadcast as part of the In Praise of God series on July 13th. The congregation is pictured below in the chancel.
Ros, St Michael's PCC Secretary, shown here in her trademark apron as she multitasks as Washer Upper!